The theme for the Quadrennium 2010-2014, “Discerning and Obeying God’s Will in These Critical Times”, is intended to deepen and broaden the theological horizon of those called to do mission in obedience to the call of our Lord Jesus to be “light of the world and salt of the earth”, to be a transformative presence that reflects the values and ideals of the kingdom of God here on earth, a presence that radiates hope and newness to people who otherwise would have been consigned to the dustbin of hopelessness and despair. In this new theme, the household of God is being called to a collective act of discernment of the signs of the times, as a prerequisite to its being able to render a faithful and most meaningful act of obedience. (Capulong)
The gains in the past quadrennium inspire us to renew our commitment to the continuing challenges of mission and the call for discernment and obedience in these critical times. Hence, we shall continue to pursue, rather more intensely, these thrusts:
1. Unity in the understanding of the faith of the Church:
2. Steadfast prophetic witness of the Church amidst wounds of conflict and despair:
3. Faithful and responsible stewardship of God-given resources and greater capacity of the Church to support its mission and ministries:
4. Stronger and meaningful interfaith, ecumenical, and international relations:
5. Strengthened cooperation and coordination with and among church-related institutions and organizations as companions in faith journey and as partners-in-mission:
6. Intentional, coherent and integrated programme ministries that give priority to the nurturing and proclamation of the faith, and inspire responsible stewardship, prophetic witness and collective response to contemporary challenges:
7. Rationalized human resource development that will ensure capable, responsible and effective leadership for present and future generations;
8. Clear and coherent organizational and structural mechanisms that are known, understood and upheld by the broad constituency of the Church
9. Commitment to the overall ministry of the church:
The United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP), a responsible, empowered, self-reliant and caring community of Christian believers committed to the pursuit of a transformed church and society towards an abundant and meaningful life for all
In light of such a Vision, the UCCP, therefore, commits itself to the mission of establishing and uniting the community of faith for the proclamation of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ towards the transformation of both church and society.
Within the first 5-10 years of its jubillee, the UCCP will translate its mission into a life-work that will focus on the restoration of its relationships - a foretaste of God's reign or shalom.
1. To strengthen the faith community. 2. To enrich the life-work of communities where Local Churches are located. 3. To deepen the impact of its collective response to societal issues and concerns.
Vision, Mission and Goals
United Church of Christ in the Philippines