I. Policy Statement
All persons who make the decision to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour become members of the Universal, invisible Church of Jesus Christ.
This membership in the UCCP is expressed by being admitted to the membership in one of its local churches, which also serves as the concrete expression of the invisible church. With this membership carries the responsibility to participate in its mission and the support of such mission programs.
The UCCP considers the local church as the primary locus of its mission, a mission that extends through its wider judicatories, institutions, and international and ecumenical partnerships.
During the National Council Meeting in Dipolog city, October 24-27, 2006 (NC 2006-24) the Church approved the giving of the Annual Denominational Contributions. Thus, it is the policy of the Church that all members of the local churches shall be enjoined to actively participate in giving the Denominational Contribution every year.
II. Implementing Guidelines
1. All members of the Local Churches listed in the membership roll of the church shall give their denominational contribution every year in the amount of P20 (minimum). The members can give beyond the minimum amount set depending on their capacity to give and contribute to the church;
2. All proceeds of the Denominational Contribution shall be remitted directly to the National Treasurer of the General Assembly, who shall inform the jurisdictions and conferences on the performance of the local churches in their respective areas.
3. All proceeds of the Denominational Contribution shall go to support the Church Growth and Development programs of the UCCP that will include support to acquisition and titling of church lots, construction of chapels and educational buildings, among other Program of the General Assembly;
4. The Denominational Contribution is also a way of determining the number of members of the local church. Therefore every year, UCCP is able to determine its statistics and determine the percentage growth of the church;
III. Steps/ Procedures/Flow
1. The month of February has been declared by the UCCP as its Membership Renewal Month. Through a month-wide campaign, activities can be planned where church members are given the opportunity to renew their membership and offer their Denominational Contributions.
2. The Local Church Pastor, Finance Secretary and the Treasurer, together with the Board of Elders whose duties include the admission of believers to the local church and subsequent monitoring of members, shall facilitate the collection of the Denomination Contribution by listing the Names of members, age, gender and the amount contributed.
3. The last Sunday of February shall be designated as the Membership Commitment Renewal Sunday whereby the local church will celebrate, offer and bless the Denominational Contribution collected, and declare the membership of the church for that particular year, including recognition of membership growth statistics. A special liturgy shall be prepared by the National Office for this purpose.
4. All proceeds of the Denominational Contribution shall be remitted by the Local Church Treasurer through the National Office Bank Accounts within one week. Conference and Jurisdictional offices shall assist local churches in the facilitation to this remittances so as to save on bank service charges, among others.
5. The local church Treasurer shall provide a summary report on the number of members, age range by 10s (i.e , ages 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc) gender, as to male and female, and the total amount contributed from the local church. A copy of the report should also be furnished to the Conference; Example:
Denominational Contribution Remittance Report
Name of Local Church: ___________________________________________
No of members: ________________________________________________
Age: 1-10 _______ 11-20 _______ 21-30 _______ 31-40 _____ 41-50 _______ 51-60 _______ 61-70 _______ 71-80 _______ 81- above _____
Denomination contribution: ______________________________________
Submitted by: Attested by:
Local Church Treasurer Local church Pastor
6. An Official Receipt shall be provided by the National Office upon receipt of the Denominational Contribution;
7. These Denominational Contributions of the local churches shall be reported every year in the various information outlet of the UCCP like the United Church Letter for acknowledgement and recognition
The United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP), a responsible, empowered, self-reliant and caring community of Christian believers committed to the pursuit of a transformed church and society towards an abundant and meaningful life for all
In light of such a Vision, the UCCP, therefore, commits itself to the mission of establishing and uniting the community of faith for the proclamation of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ towards the transformation of both church and society.
Within the first 5-10 years of its jubillee, the UCCP will translate its mission into a life-work that will focus on the restoration of its relationships - a foretaste of God's reign or shalom.
1. To strengthen the faith community. 2. To enrich the life-work of communities where Local Churches are located. 3. To deepen the impact of its collective response to societal issues and concerns.
Vision, Mission and Goals
United Church of Christ in the Philippines